The Model 16A microphone can be used in sound reinforcement or re- cording, to pick up voices or instruments.
• Smooth, extended frequency response provides intelligibility and crisp- ness of sound
• High output condenser cartridge for highest fidelity
• Cardioid (unidirectional) pickup pattern suppresses feedback
• Internal battery power and On/Off switch
BASIC RULES FOR MICROPHONE USE
1. Aim a directional microphone toward the desired sound source (for instance, musical instrument, talker, singer) and away from undesired sources (such as loudspeakers or another instrument) [Figure 1].
2. Locate the microphone as close as practical to the desired sound source [Figure 2] for best gain before feedback.
3. Do not pick up the same sound source with more than one micro- phone. Keep the distance between multiple microphones at least three times the distance from each source to its intended microphone.
4. Use the fewest microphones possible for the particular application.
5. When extra bass response is desirable, work close to the microphone.
This phenomenon is known as “proximity effect”.
6. Locate microphones as far as possible from acoustically reflective
(hard, smooth) surfaces.
7. Add an external windscreen when additional pop protection is needed:
outdoors in windy conditions or for closeup vocal use.
8. To preserve directional characteristics, do not obstruct the microphone
Type: Condenser (electret bias)
Frequency Response: 50 to 15,000 Hz (see )
Pickup (Polar) Pattern: Cardioid (unidirectional) (see ) Impedance (Z)
Low (600 Ω balanced)
Output Level (at 1 kHz)
Open Circuit Voltage: –68.0 dB (0.40 mV) * *0 dB = 1 V/μbar
Maximum SPL (at 1 kHz) 120 dB
Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3.
Battery Type: 1.5 volt “AA”, more than 1,000 hours battery life (alkaline battery). To replace battery, unscrew and remove cartridge (top portion), replace the old battery with a new battery making sure the positive end is facing the cartridge, then screw the cartridge back on.
Connector: Three-pin professional audio connector (male XLR)
Switch: On/Off switch.
Weight: 127 g (4.5 oz)
Microfono a condensatore